1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2) Add oil to dutch oven, place over high heat.
3) Salt the chuck roast thoroughly, then brown approximately two minutes on each side. Season with cumin after browning, then remove meat.
4) Saute onion and garlic until onion softens, then add tomato paste and cook another minute, stirring.
5) Add remaining ingredients, and simmer a few minutes until thickened.
6) Return meat to dutch oven, baste with liquid, cover, and move to oven.
7) Cook 3 hours 30 minutes, or until meat is fork tender.
8) Remove meat to cutting board, cover to rest.
9) Optionally, smooth out the juice in the pot a little with an immersion blender.
10) Slice thin against the grain, or pull with forks to serve.
Yield: 8 servings
Source: Adapted from the Good Eats episode